Midlands fire department offers fireworks safety tips | Sports & Recreation
Interim Columbia-Richland Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins wants you to be safe this season. So for safety's sake, leave fireworks to the professionals.
That's because there's a high risk of property damage injuries and possible death associated with fireworks.
Columbia-Richland Fire Department strongly discourages the use of consumer fireworks.
• Always read and follow label directions.
• Have an adult present.
• Never allow children to play, hold or light fire works.
• Only buy from licensed dealers.
• If you do use fireworks, light them outdoors, away from dry grass
• Always have water handy (a garden hose and a bucket).
• Always wear eye protection and never lean over fireworks while lighting, and wear snug-fitting clothing while lighting fireworks
• Never experiment to make your own fireworks.
• Light only one firework at a time.
• Keep fireworks that are not being used, covered to protect them from accidental fall out from the fireworks display
• Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
• Never re-light a “dud” firework.
• Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
• Never light or hold lighted fireworks in your hand.