City council approves raise for mayor | Politics
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The Columbia City Council has approved a raise for the mayor.
At its meeting Tuesday night, the council voted unanimously to raise the annual salary for mayor.
If voters approve the strong mayor system of government in the special election on December 3rd, the mayor's annual salary will increase to $160,000.
If the current governing system remains, the mayor's salary will be $75,000.
Currently, the mayor of Columbia earns $17,500.
Mayor Steve Benjamin and Councilman Moe Baddourah did not participate in the vote because both are candidates for mayor.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations