One suspicious item harmless, authorities detonate second item | News
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS)- Two items that sparked suspicion and concern in downtown Columbia Wednesday afternoon have been deemed safe.
A spokesperson for the police department says a book bag discovered on a park bench near Lady Street and Assembly Street contained nothing but clothing.
Another book bag found near the intersection of Lady Street and Assembly Street was detonated out of precaution.
Authorities said it contained some library books. The reason for the controlled detonation was because there were some items inside investigators could not identify.
Emergency crews shut down four blocks of Assembly Street between Gervais Street and Hampton Street for approximately two hours during the investigation.
Assembly Street opened up to traffic shortly before 3 p.m.
SLED assisted the Columbia Police Department and the Columbia Fire Department with the investigation.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations