Apartment fire displaces 16 residents | News
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS)- 16 people were forced out of their homes when fire broke out in their apartment building Saturday morning.
Brick Lewis with the Columbia Fire Department says firefighters were called to the Hampton Park Apartments in the 4400 block of Blossom Street at about 4:30 Saturday morning.
First arriving crews found heavy smoke and fire coming from one of the apartment buildings.
One unit was destroyed and four other units were damaged by the fire. One unit was vacant at the time of the fire. Damage is estimated at $100,000.
The American Red Cross is helping the 12 adults and 4 kids that were displaced by the fire.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations