Corrections officials close 2 institutions to visitors because of flu | News
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS)- The South Carolina Department of Corrections has closed two Midlands-area institutions to visitors this weekend because of flu outbreaks.
Clark Newsom with the SCDC says inmates at Kirkland Correctional and Goodman Correctional will not be able to receive visitors throughout the weekend.
Newsom says 18 cases of the flu have been confirmed at Kirkland, which is a maximum-security facility. Three positive cases of the flu have been confirmed at Goodman, with two suspected cases reported.
The no visitor policy is in effect throughout the weekend. The Department of Corrections is working with the State Department of Health and Environmental Control to deal with the contagious illness.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations