Deputies pursue attempted murder charges against rock thrower | News
RICHLAND COUNTY, SC (WIS)- Richland County sheriff's deputies are looking for someone who is throwing rocks off overpasses and plans to charge that person with attempted murder once they're caught.
"This is serious, someone could die as a result of this," said department spokesman Capt. Chris Cowan.
Deputies have received several reports of someone throwing rocks off overpasses throughout the county.
Just before midnight on Jan. 12th, a windshield was shattered by a large rock as the driver traveled west on Interstate 26 near the 94 mile marker, which is near White Rock. The driver and her passengers were injured by rock and glass and were taken to the hospital.
Two days later, a vehicle was heavily damaged at about 9:30 p.m. at Broad River Road and Bookie Richardson Road. The driver reported seeing someone throw a rock at the vehicle.
Several similar incidents were reported Sunday between 7 and 10 p.m.:
- Broad River Road and Sid Sites Road
- Mt. Vernon Road and the Interstate Overpass
- Broad River at Lowman Barn Road
- I26 at Broad River Road
- Mount Vernon at Stonehill
- Broad River at Sid Sites Road
- Broad River Road at the 5600 Block
- Mt. Vernon Church Road and Broad River Road
Sheriff Leon Lott says nobody was injured in any of the incidents Sunday night, but vehicles suffered major damage.
"This is extremely dangerous," said Cowan. "If there's someone out there who knows who did and doesn't report it, they could be charged as well."
Witnesses say the person who threw the rocks was driving an older-model white pickup. The person is described as a white male, 20-35 years old, with blonde or brown hair.
Once he is caught, deputies plan to charge him with attempted murder.
If you have any information that can help investigators find the man before someone gets seriously hurt, call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC.
Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations