El Kamash Named SEC Swimming & Diving Freshman Of the Week | News
South Carolina freshman swimmer Marwan El Kamash has been named the SEC Male Freshman of the Week, the league announced Tuesday.
A native of Alexandria, Egypt, El Kamash helped lead the Gamecocks to a 160-140 victory over Texas A&M on Saturday in a tri meet with the Aggies and North Carolina, turning in four top-five performances.
El Kamash won the 500-yard freestyle in 4:31.27, which is the fastest time by a freshman in the SEC (seventh overall) and eighth best in the country.
He took runner-up honors in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:21.21, the second fastest mark in the SEC and seventh fastest in the country. He swam the leadoff leg of the 400-yard freestyle relay and helped the team to second-place finish in 3:02.05, the second fastest time in the SEC and seventh best in the country. El Kamash also placed fifth overall in the 100-yard freestyle in 46.45.
El Kamash and the Gamecocks will return to action at home against Florida on Oct. 26. The meet is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the Blatt P.E. Center/Carolina Natatorium.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations