Sheriff: Man shot in the face after being jumped | Crime
The Richland County Sheriff’s Department arrested a man they say shot another man in the face after a physical altercation.
Deputies say 34-year-old DeWayne Rutherford was arrested by the Richland County Gang Task Force at 11:45 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 21, on Jenkins Brother Road in Blythewood for attempted murder.
The report said just before 1:00 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 9, officers responded to shots being fired at Hastings Point Clubhouse at 8301 Wilson Boulevard.
Deputies say Rutherford shot the 38-year-old male victim in the face after a physical altercation.
After being assaulted by several males, the victim jumped into his vehicle and was shot by Rutherford as he was driving away from the area, the report stated.
Deputies say the victim drove himself home where he then called law enforcement. The victim was transported to Palmetto Health Hospital where he was treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Rutherford was transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.
Sheriff Leon Lott stated that this investigation is ongoing and additional arrests are forthcoming.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations