Deputies: Store clerk fears for her life, shoots robbery suspect | Crime
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - An overnight robbery attempt in Richland County ended in a shootout with a store clerk Wednesday morning. One person was sent to the hospital.
Deputies with the Richland County Sheriff’s Department say three black males armed with handguns entered the Corner Pantry store at 5413 Forest Drive to commit a robbery. After demanding money and lottery tickets, investigators say the suspects fired several shots in the air.
Deputies say that is when the store clerk, fearing for her life, grabbed her weapon and returned fire. One of the suspects was hit in the upper body and sent to the hospital. Investigators don’t know his condition.
Investigators also believe a second suspect was hit but they are still looking for him in addition to the third suspect.
The store is located near the intersection of Forest Drive and Percival Road.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations