Amazon adding hundreds of new jobs | Business
Amazon announced on Wednesday it is hiring for hundreds of new positions at its site in Columbia, South Carolina.
According to a news release, the hourly positions will pick, pack and ship customer orders. All employees will receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes both health insurance and company stock awards.
Median pay inside Amazon fulfillment centers is 30 percent higher than that of people who work in traditional retail stores--and that doesn't even include the stock grants that full-time employees receive, which over the past five years have added an average of 9 percent to base pay annually.
The 1 million-square-foot fulfillment center opened in the fall of 2012 in Lexington County. At the time of its grand opening celebration in July of 2012, the site confirmed it had brought more than 1,000 jobs to the community. The fulfillment center handles smaller products like electronics, DVDs and books, to name a few items.
Amazon also has a fulfillment center in Spartanburg, South Carolina, that handles larger items and employs more than 400 hundred employees. Candidates can apply at www.workatamazonfulfillment.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations