RAKU Festival Set to Entertain with Fiery Demonstrations | Arts & Culture
The City of Columbia Art Center will host the 2013 Spring Raku Festival on Saturday, April 6, 2013. The Raku Festival is free and open to the public from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will be held at the Art Center, located at 1932 Calhoun St. There will be demonstrations, meet and greets with the artists, art for purchase and more.
The Raku pottery firing process is a rapid technique in which a glazed ceramic vessel is heated to nearly 2,000 degrees then removed from the kiln when the glaze is red hot and molten and placed in a chamber with combustible material. After the material ignites, the chamber is sealed and flames consume the oxygen within resulting in unusual and beautiful metallic colors and surface effects.
For more information, contact Brenda Oliver, Cultural Arts Coordinator, at 803.545.3093 or email@example.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tight-knit Forest Acres community seeks answers in wake of recent crimes
- Police searching for 2 armed robbery suspects
- Richland sheriff gathering gifts for seniors
- Police arrest man who fled after launching car onto Forest Acres roof
- Hospital staff member classifies child as 'loser' for lack of immunizations