Sharing Holiday Cheer – Five Points Style | Arts & Culture
In its true, funky style, the Five Points Association is once again hosting its version of holiday tidings – the 5th Annual Five Points Festivus (for the rest of us). Based on an episode of Seinfeld in which George Costanza’s father invents an un-holiday, Five Points expresses its unique nature by celebrating the fake holiday with 2 days of events, starting November 30, including the Airing of Grievances Bar Tour and the ART Vandelay Shop-n-Sip Tour. In its fifth year, Festivus has become one of Columbia’s favorite holiday events, allowing its eclectic merchants to show their true personalities in the city’s oldest shopping village.
Friday, November 30, 2012
Airing of Grievances Bar Tour
6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
What has become therapeutic to many, the Airing of the Grievances Bar Tour, is back and just in time for those with serious complaints about 2012. Patrons are encouraged to grab some friends and check in at the fountain to get their registration packet and tour map. They will be encouraged to walk from bar to bar, buy seasonal and craft beers from Budweiser of Columbia and enjoy great complimentary prizes with each purchase at all 10 of the stops. Participants will have a chance to let everyone know exactly what troubled them this past year and each bar on the tour will have a DJ reading grievances aloud and handing out “Art Vandelay Awards” for the best grievances. For those patrons that just can’t get enough, the Festivus fun certainly doesn’t stop at 10 p.m. Anyone participating in the tour can stop by Delaney’s for a hilarious night of Seinfeld Trivia. The grand prize for the trivia winner is the infamous painting of George Costanza in his underwear, entitled “The Timeless Art of Seduction.”
· Pre-Registration ($15) is available now at www.AOG2012.eventbrite.com.
· Day of registration ($15) will begin at the fountain at 6:00 p.m.
· Registration includes: Official Tour T-shirt, Grievances Notepad and Pen, Tour Map, Bag for Goodies, and Invitation to Delaney’s Seinfeld Trivia.
· Screenings of the Seinfeld episode “The Strike” from 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
· Delaney’s is hosting Seinfeld Trivia exclusively for tour participants from 9:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.
· Seinfeld-themed photo booth at Pawley’s Front Porch for all AOG Tour participants
· Beers on the tour:
Ø Widmer Brr - Thirsty Parrot
Ø Redhook Winterhook - Breaker's Bar & Grill
Ø Stegmaier Winter Warmer - Village Idiot
Ø Pyramid Snow Cap - Delaney's
Ø Goose Island Mild Winter Season - CJ's
Ø Stella Artois - Bar None
Ø Hoegaarden - Yesterday's
Ø Kona Pipeline Porter - Jake's
Ø Woodchuck Blueberry - Sharky's
Ø Lionshead - Group Therapy
Saturday, December 1, 2012
ART Vandelay Shop-n-Sip Tour
4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Patrons can stroll through all their favorite Five Points stores during the Festivus “ART Vandelay Shop-n-Sip Tour.” Participants should check in at the ID station at the fountain, grab their tour maps and start shopping. Over 20 stores will be featuring a local artist, a free sample of tasty Van Gogh Vodka specialty cocktails and delicious sweet treats of the season. Stores will be featuring lots of sales and specials, encouraging patrons to visit each of the retailers From candy and clothing to skateboards and wine, the Five Points merchants have everything patrons could possibly want this holiday season.
· NEW! Interactive art – create your own unique painted ornament with the Mad Platter at the Inn at Claussen’s over wine and cheese
· Buskers Galore! At least 3 buskers playing tunes throughout the open air village
Retailers on the Tour:
· $99 eye exams; 20% off of glasses
· Alicia Leeke - Cityscapes, wine sacs, paintings and more!
· Van Gogh: Jingle Bells
· Thomas Crouch - Visual artist with paintings in private collections throughout Europe and the US - Storewide sales and select footwear for $35
· Emily Bargeron - Designer of Mamie Ruth designs; Savannah-based clothing designer who specializes in bright colors, bold patters and fashion-forward silhouettes. Funky jewelry, too!
Bones, Rugs & Harmony:
· NEW IN FIVE POINTS! Grand Opening - Black Friday; Holiday Hours: 10am-6pm, 7 days a week. Open late for Festivus with a hot chocolate bar. Currently accepting consignments!
· 10% off all accessories (except Garmin and Oakley); Up to 50% off select items; Closeout bikes
· Open for business
Finleaf Gallery :
· White Wine
Good for the Sole:
· Andrew Brush - Sculptures and graphic designs
· Van Gogh: PB Salted Caramel
Immaculate Piercing :
· Michael Dixon - Very detailed, vibrant, and realistic paintings done by hand; uses the mediums of graphite and prismacolor
Indigo Rose Tattoo :
· Shannon Purvis, Bryan Spencer and Leah Bennett - Underneath the Mistletoe - Come visit us during our transition month from "Body Rites Tattoo" to "Indigo Rose." We we are offering 20% off gift certificates - one day only!
· Don McCallister - Local author signing his new book, Fellow Traveler - White Wine - 25% off all regular-priced clothing and T's
· Every Beatles vinyl re-issue in stock, but LIMITED supply!
· Get a FREE gift with purchase of $50 or more! Open 10am - 8pm
Portfolio Art Gallery :
· Toni Chirico & Alexander B. Hibbs - Chirico: Hand-Crafted Fused Glass Jewelry, Accessories and Mosaics; Hibbs: Jewelry and Clock Craftsman
· Van Gogh: Georgia Promenade
· Jesse Cody - Jewelry and Photography
· Van Gogh: Poison Apple
· Buy 2 Christmas cookies, get one FREE! Get your pup's photo taken with Santa at Pupcakes from 10am-5pm
· New Client Special! 5 Weeks - Unlimited for $99! 10% off all retail
· White Wine:
· 20% off storewide
Sid & Nancy:
· Special showing and selling of the watercolors from the artists of the former "Body Rites Tattoo" (presently "Indigo Rose Tattoo")
· White Wine
· 10% off all winter gear
Sylvan & DuBose:
· Van Gogh: PB&J Jammer
The Inn At Claussen's:
· The Mad Platter (Margaret Nevill) - "We heart Five Points" ceramic heart ornaments - painted by you! Create your own or go retro with our spin art machine. Just like when you were a kid - we have a spin art machine, acrylic paints and unlimited possibilities for unique ornaments:
· Wine & Cheese
The Oops Company:
· $10 off $50 or more purchases from 5pm - 8pm
Tic Toc Candy Shoppe:
· Michael Bise - American Folk Art - distressed wood, brightly painted wall hangings with no two alike; Prints: small, colorful kitchen prints some designed with recipes; SC Dictionary - Small colorful prints with points of interest about the state:
· Van Gogh: Pomegranate Champagne
· Sales and specials throughout the store, including select Christmas merchandise
Upstairs Audio -:
· Outside Busker
· Van Gogh: Peachy Palmer
· Outside Busker
· Van Gogh: Blueberry Lemonade
· 15% off the entire store, 20% off on "Nice" brand; $9.99 for the O'Maras Irish Cream box set (includes bottle of Irish Cream and 4 specialty glasses)
· 1/2 price on batteries and bands; 30% off on all G-Shock & Baby-G
· Van Gogh: Wild PB&J